In this section, we'll go through the steps for creating and configuring a Google+ (incl. YouTube) application through the Google developers portal.
Step 1: Create your Social Network Application
Enter: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials and register a Google developer account.
Google applications are called Credentials, so from the landing page of the Google developers portal, your should click "Create credentials".
In the displayed content menu, select the "OAuth Client ID":
Then, select the Application type. NOTE: You may need to previously define a product name in the authorization screen to be able to perform this action.
A pop-up will appear with the ID and Client Secret. You'll need to send Xeerpa this information at email@example.com. See below:
Click "Accept" and then fill in the necessary fields: Name and Callback URL. The callback URL is the URL where you should redirect the user when they complete the social login process. You are required to include the callback URL in the configuration settings of your application so that Facebook can confirm you own this URL and that it is secure.
Step 2: Configure your application
Under the Library section, choose which user permissions your application will request. For Google+ select "Google+ API", and for YouTube select "YouTube API".
You'll be taken into the Control panel section, where you should click "Activate". The screenshot below is of the Google+ API activation process, but the process is the same for the YouTube API.
Finally, you will need to obtain the next permission through the following link:
Xeerpa only requires the following permissions:
If you want to get data from contacts and feeds:
If you want to get data from YouTube:
Step 3: Validate your API's permissions
Once you have set up and tested your API, and in order to be able to use it to gather users, you will need to validate its permissions.
There are three different steps to validate your API's permissions, as you can read on this link:
- Include your Homepage and Terms and Conditions link in your API's configuration. A Privacy Poliy is required.
- Verify the property of your website
- Submit a validation request
You can verify the property of your website by following these steps:
- Log into Google
- Navigate to Google Search Console
- Press Add Property and add the domain you want to verify
- Use any of the available methods to verify your domain. For example, you can add a meta tag to your code or just upload a .html file to your server
After that, you will need to fill out and submit a Developers form, which can be found on this link. There are several fields to fill in that form - if you need any information about those fields you can visit their example form. These are the key fields:
- Project ID: This field refers to the Project ID in Google Developers Console. you can see your Project ID in the upper side of the screen, clicking in your Project from your Projects' List
- oAuth ClientId: This field is the API's ID. This is the ID you will need to provide Xeerpa Support Team with for the integration
Filling out the formulary you will need to explain why are you requesting these permissions from users. This way, you can improve your chances of obtaining Google's validation for your API.
- Which scopes does your app need access to? These are scope URLs, the full list of scopes can be found here.
Once you have submitted your request, you will need to wait for Google to approve your API's validation.